RSS

So that was a while ago....

I don't have a particularly good reason for not posting for so dang long except that I was all caught up in summer fun. And then I was all caught up in back-to-school prep. And now I'm all caught up in teaching again. But at least now I have stuff to write about again that's not just about going to amusement parks and watching baseball games and having drinks on patios and all that other good summer stuff that I hope you partook in fully! Nothing too extensive yet, but I'm sure we'll get there. We always do.

So. New year, new kids (well, a bunch new - and then a bunch that I had two years ago when I taught 6th grade - what will I do after this year when I have to get to know ALL my students and don't have any past relationships with any of them?). Generally it's good - I miss my kids from last year a bunch, but a few have already come to visit and even to help out as I set up my classroom, including the Antagonizer, Drama King, Athleta, and a few others. That's been nice (and was actually really helpful). And I know that at least a few kids did the summer literacy challenge so I've been starting to put together prize packages; I've got to arrange a time to get up to the high school to give them out.

Of my new students, only one is flashing warning lights so far; I have a couple of challenging ones (or so say their histories/reps) but either they're trying to turn over new leaves, or they're still on their honeymoon best behavior. We'll see in a few weeks. :) I do have one boy who wants nothing to do with me or anyone, far as I can tell, so I've got his counselor doing some research (he's new to us this year).

Friday I started my positive parent calls - I made twelve, speaking to about half the parents and leaving messages for the others. Everyone I talked to was delighted, and one mother said I'd made her whole weekend. That kinda made mine too.

I do have push-in sped support in one of my classes this year for half of the block; I haven't totally figured out how that's supposed to work yet. As long as it's not as bad as Ricochet's situation with Funsucker, I'm sure I'll manage.

Overall, the year is off to a great start and I can't wait to see where it goes from here! :)

(Image credit to Sally M)

3 comments:

Teacherfish said...

I am the sped support teacher in lots of classroom, also I am responsible for supervising many sped support teachers. I've heard team teaching described as a marriage (when it works it's great and when it doesn't it's a disaster) and when the sped teacher is just assigned to a class without any previous discussion it kind of feels like an arranged marriage with not much input from the bride (nor groom)

My recommendations.
1)Keep communications open (I always say to a new co-teacher “When I offend you (and I do mean when, not if) tell me. I will apologize and then we can figure out how to not get to that point again
2)Plan- plan-plan. Sped teachers are certified teachers not overpaid paraprofessionals. I will run and make copies for you if you are stuck, I will take Ms. Disruptive out when things get tense, but I am experienced teacher and I want to teach- if you make time for me during your preparations I will plan out my role in the instruction for the week. Have high expectations and I will try my best to meet them.
3)Check out http://www.marilynfriend.com/ Marilyn Friend is the co- teaching guru and she has lots of useful information.

Ms Characterized said...

Congrats on a great start. Looking forward to reading more when you find the time!

teachin' said...

Teacherfish: thanks for the recs! I'd definitely say arranged marriage right now. :/

OKP: thanks for the encouragement! :)

"I'm a dreamer but I ain't the only one Got problems but we love to have fun" -K'naan, "Dreamer"

I teach eighth grade Language Arts at an urban school. My kids kick ass and will change the world. I want everyone to know.
 
Copyright 2009 I'm a Dreamer All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes