RSS

If that's the case.

Here’s the thing. I love my job. I love, love, love my job, a ridiculous, disgusting, embarrassing, slobby, gushy amount. I know not everyone feels that way about their job. I know probably most people don’t feel that way about their jobs. And I have bad days too, days where I come home so beat down I want to crawl into bed, pull the covers over my head, and not come out till June. But most days? Almost every day? I. LOVE. MY. JOB. And….I don’t get why people do it if they don’t love it.

Because teaching? Is fucking hard. I work my ass off, every day, in a never-ending cycle of planning/implementing/assessing/evaluating, for not all that much money, and an awful lot of time, and a fair amount of public criticism.

So if you don’t love it, what the hell? If you don’t come home bursting with stories about the hilarious or terrible or awesome things your kids did that day….if you don’t laugh every day at something funny someone did, intentionally entertaining or not….if you don’t have colleagues whose opinions and advice you value and enjoy….if you don’t love the look on a kid’s face when he or she fiiiiiiinally understands something you’ve been working on for.ev.er…..

….maybe it’s not for you. And if that’s the case, leave. Because you’re making the rest of us look bad.

0 comments:

"I'm a dreamer but I ain't the only one Got problems but we love to have fun" -K'naan, "Dreamer"

I teach eighth grade Language Arts at an urban school. My kids kick ass and will change the world. I want everyone to know.
 
Copyright 2009 I'm a Dreamer All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes